Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Quest for the Perfect Loaf of Bread

Off on a new adventure -- the quest for the perfect loaf of bread!! I picked up Peter Reinhart's "Whole Grain Breads" book a while back, but was daunted by the seeming complexity of his method. Guess it needed to perk for awhile. Bored with my old standby recipes, I recently picked it up again looking for inspiration. And in looking at it again, I realized the methods and recipes really aren't that difficult. (In fact, they're actually easier, and less time-consuming, than traditional methods.) Made a loaf of multigrain bread yesterday, and was pleased -- I used some corn and oats, as well as the wheat, and the result was a nice, just-sweet-enough bread.

This was a good thing, because, after obtaining some whole corn recently, I milled enough for a batch of cornbread (which was an adventure in itself!!). We were both quite excited to try it -- and were sorely disappointed. Not nearly sweet enough. Ah, well -- how boring would life be, if everything was easy!! Just means I get to do a little experimenting...

No comments:

Post a Comment