Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Drying Sweet Corn

I put this in my tips, but liked the end product so much, I decided to do a post about it. As always, my goal is to provide us with a variety of good things to eat all year. But I was very disappointed when I tried the creamed corn recipe in the Ball book -- first time it's ever let me down. Decided to dry the next batch -- 'way better!! It takes 3 - 4 ears per tray, and about 12 - 16 ears will fill a quart jar.

It tastes almost exactly like fresh corn -- except sweeter, because all the sugar gets concentrated as it dries. It's nice just to eat on its own, or you could toss it into soup, sprinkle it over salad, even rehydrate & mix it into cornbread. Someone even suggested mixing it with toasted nuts & raisins, on the order of trail mix...

Corn is very easy to dry -- just husk, then blanch the ears for 3 - 4 minutes. Cut the kernels off the cob, then scrape the cobs with the dull side of a knife or a spoon, to get all the good stuff. Spread the corn onto drying trays. Depending on your dehydrator, it should be done in a few hours, or overnight. (You could also spread it onto cookie sheets & dry it at very low heat in the oven.) We both love corn, and I'm very pleased by the prospect of brightening up a winter dinner with this little bit of summer!!

5 comments:

  1. Hi, I just found your blog through a google search . I am excited to bookmark your blog. I tried to do a search within your posts for a fruit leather recipe. I have a bunch of apricots that I want to make into leather. Your sidebar briefly mentions using real lemon juice and jello. How much and why? If you have a good fruit leather recipe then I'm anxious to hear it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mrs. Olsen ~

    I'm so sorry -- I've just finally figured out how to respond to comments!! I hope this comment will reach you, and will still be useful to you.

    I've used the apricot leather recipe from Stocking Up III, from Rodale Press. It makes great leather!! I believe there's an updated version of the book available on Amazon. Another author you might like is Mary Bell -- she's written some great books on dehydrating foods and cooking with the foods you've dehydrated. You can find her books on Amazon, as well.

    Thanks again for your comment, and my sincere apologies for taking so long to figure out how to respond!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. As far as the lemon juice -- a small amount should help keep your fruit leather from turning brown. (The Apricot Leather recipe I use calls for 1-1/2 cups of pineapple juice to a gallon of fresh apricots, which serves the same purpose.) The jello is something I read about in Mary Bell's book -- it's a shortcut, and can also provide some interesting flavor combinations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The tip you gave on freezing celery, peppers,etc.
    Does this method keep the vegetables from losing their crip texture and keep them from becoming watery when unthawed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your question! Veggies prepped and frozen ahead are best for cooking -- I'm not aware of any way to keep them crisp. The beauty is that a little time spent chopping once can cut way down on meal prep time for weeks!

      Delete