Tuesday, July 21, 2009

"Homemade" Cantaloupes, Sugar Baby Pumpkins

Although I've been pickling cucumbers from it for a little while, we finally enjoyed our first real garden treat tonight -- a small, but very meaty, cantaloupe. Lovely!! I chose a small variety to save space. The flavor is wonderful!! When we transplanted them, we thought they were okra -- which would have worked perfectly in the space alloted. So they're a bit crowded, but are producing nicely nonetheless. Unfortunately, one of the plants is next to the cucumbers, and I could detect a little cucumber flavor, but not enough to put me off (I do not enjoy cucumbers, honeydew, watermelon, etc.).

We have some Sugar Baby pumpkins that look just about ripe, too. The Ball book tells how to pressure can it, and has what looks like a nicely spiced pickle recipe, too. Looks like we'll probably have them coming our our ears, so I'm planning to try both.

How nice to finally (literally) be enjoying the fruits of our labors!!

No comments:

Post a Comment