Saturday, July 11, 2009

The Next Link in the Chain

My niece and I made dill pickles today, and, for the first time, all of the cucumbers came from our garden. We've now had several opportunities to can things together, and she really seems to be enjoying learning this new skill. I suppose this isn't necessarily all that surprising, as she loves to cook. But teaching her this art is important to me for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is that it will give her the option, one day, of saving a lot of money while feeding herself and the people she loves as well as possible. I find canning to be, among other things, very empowering.

Using my homemade pickle relish to make salad dressing, for example, dramatically demonstrated this for me. I decided to make my own pickles because I've noticed a flavor and odor in storebought pickles (both sweet relish and dill) lately. Planted pickling cucumbers, and in due course, made a batch of pickle relish. Used it to make salad dressing, and was astonished -- haven't had pickle relish this good since I was a kid!! All of the flavor "notes" are there, and in the right balance. I will definitely make that again -- I'll have to, as we seem to go through a couple of pints a month. At this rate, I'll need at least a couple dozen to get us through to next canning season. Hope my cucumber supply holds out!!

Got a kick out of teaching her to crack walnuts, too. Found them awhile back, while driving down a country road off the route I normally take. Harvest was last fall, but they still had their sign out. As I'd rather deal directly with the farmer any day, and assuming they were trying to get rid of the last of their crop (if they hadn't just forgotten to take their sign down), I stopped. Picked up 20 lbs, in shell, for $.40 a pound. This works out to about $.80 a pound, as it's about a 2:1 ratio -- which is still quite a bit better than the $4.95 a pound you pay for them already shelled! When she found out I had nuts to crack, she couldn't wait to try her hand. I showed her how to crack them, and DH showed her how to take the little part with the acid out. She had a ball, and ended up helping me shell 5 lbs -- taking home a quart of halves in the process. (She'll get 3 of the 6 quarts of pickles we made, too, but they weren't ready to be moved by the time I had to take her home.)

It's so cool, sending her home with things she's made herself!! And there is great comfort and satisfaction in knowing that she will remember these times, and, hopefully, be inspired to create these kinds of things herself for the people she loves, one day. These skills are too important to be lost, and the absolute best way to avoid that is to take a direct role in handing them down from one generation to the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment