Sunday, July 12, 2009

Asian Plum Sauce

Been meaning to try the Asian-style plum sauce recipe in the Ball book. Looks like a good one -- plums, sugar (honey, in our case), vinegar, a little ginger, garlic & chilies... Bought what I thought was enough plums to make it at a fruit stand awhile back, but when I got them home, realized I was a little short. So I halved them & put them in the freezer until I could come by a few more.

Funny, how these things sometimes work out -- when we met some relatives for lunch at a restaurant in the Bay Area recently, I was telling them about my canning adventures, and happened to mention the plum recipe & that I needed a few more plums. As we were preparing to leave, my husband walked out first. But he immediately came back, an odd expression on his face. He gestured for us to follow him, and we were astonished to find a large basket of lovely little Santa Rosa plums, free for the taking! Feeling a little funny, but giggling all the while, each of us put a few in our pockets.

I finally had a chance to try the recipe this a.m., and it turned out lovely. The recipe says it'll make 4 pints, but DH does not enjoy sweet sauces, so put it into the little 4-oz jars. Seems I always end up with more jam, sauce or whatever than canning recipes say (presumably because of the extra liquid contributed by the honey) -- I just took three half-pints and a dozen 4-oz jars out of the canner. Those will really make a nice contribution to a stir fry, or be lovely to dip chicken into, one of these days.

The Ball book has quite a number of other sauce and condiment recipes, which I intend to make as the summer progresses. As the storebought versions of them typically are expensive, and contain sugar (which I cannot have), I'm very pleased to be able to make and store a selection of them. I'm not sure which I'm looking forward to more -- the satisfaction of having made them affordably, and in such a way that I can actually eat them myself (and having adjusted the seasoning to our tastes), or the variety they will contribute to our food storage. Either way, it will be a lovely thing to see them on the shelf, and enjoy them throughout the coming year!

No comments:

Post a Comment