Friday, September 11, 2009

Locally Grown Apples

Have been too preoccupied with chairing my adopted hometown's Centennial Celebration Committee to write much lately (which was totally out of character for me -- I'm normally much more comfortable in the background, but I guess it's good to stretch a bit, once in a while). The final event of the Celebration took place last weekend, and, to no credit I can claim, it was a rousing success!! So, now that that's behind me, I can turn my focus back to what I love to do -- "preserving the harvest".

THANK GOODNESS for the local farmers market, which was started just this year!!! Every Friday afternoon, I wander through with a few dollars in my pocket, visiting with the farmers and learning about varieties, harvest order and duration... Soon, I'm loading up my car with fresh, colorful, honest-to-goodness, naturally ripened things for us to enjoy during the coming week. I've also made it a point to try to preserve some of each thing (fruits, particularly, but corn and other things, too) for us to enjoy (and maybe even share) during the winter when the only things worth buying at the grocery store are imported bananas and, maybe, apples.

Apples -- one of the farmers has the loveliest, most delicious little apples I've ever enjoyed!! They were selling two varieties today, and I've ordered a 40# box of each to pick up next week. They're cute little things, most of them about half the size of a store-bought apple. And the flavor is unbelievable!! If you've only experienced apples from the grocery store, please do yourself a favor and seek out some really fresh, locally grown apples. I figure I'll give away some, make some into applesauce... One of the varieties was gala, and I don't recall the name of one of the two varieties, but eating it was like eating fresh apple cider -- the complexity of the flavor was astounding!! I think it'll make lovely applesauce -- can't wait to try it out!!

No comments:

Post a Comment