Saturday, September 12, 2009

Canning Chili Verde, Pumpkin for Pie Filling

Visited a local farm to pick a bunch of tomatoes, both red and green, this a.m. Made a batch of chili verde sauce with some of the green ones, using a recipe I found online. Used the green tomatoes in place of tomatillos -- flavor's pretty much the same, but they're 'way cheaper). Turned out pretty good, but next time I think I'll tweak the recipe just a bit -- this batch was a little warm for us, and I'm not quite satisfied with the balance of flavors. It's close, though, and as long as I'm careful about acidity, it should adjust fine.

I've also picked out a bunch of recipes from the Ball book to try with the red ones. Once they're made up & on the shelf, they'll make it easy to throw dinner together in a hurry some night down the road. Funny thing, though -- I'm running out of places to put my canned goods!! Actually, I still have a bit of space -- I just need to "shore up" the shelves to put them on. I've been thinking in the back of my mind about the best way to do that, and I think I'll just get a closet pole from the hardware store & cut it to fit between the shelves, all the way up. Might have to do it in a couple of places, but it'll solve the problem.

Finally got around to canning the pumpkins we grew this summer. (Sugar Babies -- small pumpkins, compact plants, supposed to be good for pie.) Been putting it off because I knew how much work it'd be, but I finally felt ready to tackle it today. The best way to remove the skin, it turns out, is with a vegetable peeler. Once the pumpkin is halved and the seeds removed, quarter it, then use the peeler laterally -- it's easier than top-to-bottom. Although there's no getting around the fact that the job is labor intensive, this method seems to work pretty well!! I wanted pumpkin that would be more or less ready for pie, so I canned it (hot pack, cut in chunks -- see the Ball book) in a syrup with a little cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Pressure canned it, of course, adding a half-cup of lemon juice, and processing it for 10 minutes longer than the Ball book says, for extra insurance. Our whole harvest fit into 16 pint jars, plus a bit leftover that I tossed into the freezer. It'll be nice in pie, muffins, or even homemade ice cream!!

No comments:

Post a Comment