Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Rice Cooker Discoveries

Wahoo -- what a cool discovery!! I've had an Aroma rice cooker (about $30 at Costco) for awhile now, and have had the feeling I wasn't getting the most out of it. Finally had the sense to get my hands on some cookbooks, and wow -- you can do SO MUCH MORE with these babies than I ever imagined!!

Turns out you can even cook pasta in them!! As a "trial run", I cooked some pasta (happened to be orzo), some cubed pork, a little garlic & salt. Used a 2 - 1 ratio (2 cups water to 1 cup pasta), set the machine for 25 minutes, and let 'er rip. Twenty minutes into it, threw some veggies in the steamer tray & put them in to steam as it finished cooking. It browned a bit on the bottom, though, so next time I think I'll try 20 minutes. What a great option for a busy weeknight -- whether anything's thawed or not!! And cleanup couldn't be easier -- especially if you spray the pot with Pam first. What's even better -- it takes a lot less water and energy to cook in, and clean up, a rice cooker than a couple of pans on the stove!! I happened to have some frozen cubed pork on hand (knew that $.99/lb tri-tip would come in handy one of these days!!), which I thawed in the microwave, cut into smaller pieces; I think 1/2- to 3/4-inch cubes, or maybe even a little bigger would work ok.

Soooo, I think you could really cook just about any one-dish meal in a rice cooker, so long as there's enough liquid in it. I've seen several different mac-n-cheese versions, as well as various ethnic dishes (rice and otherwise)... So, now I'm keeping my eye out for casserole recipes to try.

The other thing, and I can't believe this didn't occur to me before, is fried rice. What a great way to use up leftovers, and throw together a very quick one-dish meal, to boot!!! You want to use cold rice, and break up any clumps. Saute it with a little soy sauce & oil, then add diced ham, sliced green onion, chopped cooked veggies, scrambled egg, or whatever other bits of this and that you might have hiding in the fridge... I think next time I cook rice, I'll cook extra so I'll have it on hand -- either in the fridge or the freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment