Sunday, September 13, 2009

Autumn Canning Blues

I think I can understand why our forebears lived such short lives. Over the course of the summer, and while working full-time, I've made it a point to preserve things as they've come into season. As I write this I'm exhausted, but still waiting for the pressure to fall in the pressure canner. There's a load of pumpkin in it, which we grew in our garden, and which we'll be glad to have on hand at some point in the future. Cut into chunks, flavored with honey, cinnamon, cloves and with a bit of lemon juice added for extra insurance, it'll make nice pie (or cookies, or bread) at the holidays -- or even later.

There are also 50 or 60 pounds of tomatoes (mostly red, but some green, too) in the garage, waiting to be turned into sauces of many descriptions: sweet & sour, chile verde, barbecue, creole, pizza... Fortunately, they're canning tomatoes, and so are pretty tough -- they can sit in the garage for a little while. A couple of years ago, I found myself canning the last of them in November.

And then there are the apples I have coming at the end of the week. They have absolutely incredible flavor!! Everyone sort of thinks, "ho hum, apples" -- until they taste these. There are two varieties: Sommerfield (like eating apple cider) and Gala (a little sweeter). It's more than I can manage right now, but luckily, they'll store fine in the fridge, until I'm ready to deal with them -- and we can eat them just as they are, too.

So even though we're heading into Fall, and even though I'm "all in", there's yet a bit of work to do. So I'll do as my forebears did: Imagine all those beautiful jars of summer treasure, lined up & waiting on the shelves -- and keep smilin'!

10/16/10

Just realized I have been saving drafts, and not actually publishing anything, for quite a while. Interesting -- here we are, at the end of another canning season, and I obviously didn't learn my lesson -- I've just spent a couple of weeks canning about 250 pounds of tomatoes -- and there are still the cherries, apricots and berries from last summer, waiting in the freezer until I can turn them into jam or sauce for us to pour over our homemade yogurt...

Ah, well, the more things change...

No comments:

Post a Comment