Monday, June 22, 2009

Pressure Canning Chicken Soup, Saving $$$

Been meaning to can some chicken soup, and picking up chicken for less than $.80 a pound finally gave me opportunity / inspiration to do it. I intend to make some chicken stock, too, one of these days, but I'm glad I started with the soup. I wasn't sure how much chicken it would take, so I made sure we had several on hand.

As it turns out, one 3 - 4 pound chicken will yield more than enough for soup, plus a good bit of skin and scraps for the dogs -- not to mention the innards! Those were quite popular, cooked & chopped up. Very nice topping for kibble.

So it took a chicken, an onion, a couple of carrots, a couple of stalks of celery, and some chicken boullion. Some herbs & a little salt to round out the flavor... Less than $4 worth of ingredients, plus a few cents' worth of gas to cook it, and, viola -- eight pints of real, homemade chicken soup. It will need starch of some kind (rice, potatoes, pasta) when it's served, but for about $.50 a jar, I'll be able to put a nice lunch or dinner on the table (in a hurry!) one of these days. And I haven't bought canned chicken soup lately, but I know it costs more than $.50 a pint!!

The sloppy joe recipe I found online (seems every site I looked at had exactly the same one) is excellent. I bought the meat (pork cushion steak -- neither of us is a big beef fan) for less than $1 a pound, put it through the grinder, added the onions, garlic (already prepped -- see tips), ketchup, chili sauce & a few other assorted things, and for about $1 each, we'll have a nice dinner one of these days.

So, although I felt a little guilty when I spent the money on it (about $200) earlier this year, we have more than recouped the investment I made in the pressure canner. And not only are we saving money and building our food storage very quickly, what we're storing is the highest quality possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment