Saturday, June 20, 2009

Homemade Cup-a-Soup

Finally got an impromptu chance to try my hand at homemade cup-a-soups!! Our dinner plans changed unexpectedly, and I found myself with an extra chicken and a good bit of leftover rice. I've done enough reading to know that (health conscious or thrifty, or both) backpackers often dehydrate their own trail food, and now that I'm set up for it, this sudden overabundance of cooked food seemed the ideal excuse to try it myself. The chicken was cooked in the crock pot, and was so well done that I didn't want to can it. So what better solution than to dry it, toss it into pint jars with the rice (also dried), drop in a few dried veggies (onions, celery, carrots, mushrooms...) and vacuum pack it! Should make an ideal lunch, or even dinner, one of these days. I'll post about it again, once I've had a chance to put it together & try it out.

7/5/09

Sampled the cup-a-soup the other day. Hadn't gotten around to packing it into individual pint jars (although now that I've tried it, I will take the time to do that) so I just tossed a bit of the chicken and some of the rice, along with some dehydrated garlic, mushrooms and carrots, into a bowl with some hot water & soy sauce. Takes about twice as long as you wait for commercial cup-a-soups, but the quality is 'way better. So I'll be making it a point to dehydrate leftovers to use in this way from here on.

No comments:

Post a Comment