Monday, June 22, 2009

Ashley Kate's First Batch of Jam

This is how it's supposed to work -- each generation hands down knowledge and life skills to the one coming behind. I introduced my niece to the art of making jam today. I remember, when I was a little younger than she is now, helping to pick the fruit (pomegranates, in particular), then, wearing old clothes, helping to peel it. My mother extracted the juice, and spent hours in the hot kitchen, making jelly. I remember the steam rising out of the big pan, the purple-stained tea towels on the counter and in the sink, and my mother's absolute focus as she turned that sweet, purple liquid into jelly. Later, that jelly would find its way into sandwiches for our lunchboxes. And now it's come full circle.

Ashley and I made apricot-pineapple jam (her choice). It came out beautiful, and she was thrilled to be allowed to take all but one of the jars home (I wasn't about to let all of her first effort go out the door!!). Walked up and proudly handed it to her dad and stepmom, receiving appropriate praise in the process. Seeing the pride on her face, I'm grateful -- the next generation tucks another skill under its belt, and this is, indeed, how it's supposed to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment