Sunday, April 5, 2009

Taking Stock -- Making Progress!!

I'm a little shocked to realize how far I've come. In the middle of January, I set a goal to put together a food supply that would last us for a certain period of time. My goal was to have it in place by the end of the year. I was shocked yesterday to realize what substantial progress I've made toward my goal!!

Obtaining the equipment I needed (new dehydrator, pressure canner) has made a huge difference. So has obtaining a bit of knowledge. But most importantly, I've prayed for -- and received -- assistance.

Part of our goal is to become a good deal more self-sufficient. To that end, even though it's a little late, we're working on a garden. Our goal is to be able to harvest something all year. It can be done, if we plan carefully (and the weather cooperates). I'm intrigued by some of the concepts that can be applied to increase the yield of a given patch of ground -- "square foot gardening" in particular.

Great fun with the flour mill this weekend -- my niece was over, and she couldn't seem to stay away from it!! We ground the flour for the first loaf of bread together, then I turned her loose and she did enough by herself for a second loaf (which she took home). She wanted to do a third batch, so we agreed she would take it home, along with a little yeast, to bake in her stepmom's bread machine. I'm always very pleased when I can give her an experience she probably wouldn't have, otherwise.

Heard back from the Cooperative Extension folks. They sure don't want you to can anything that they haven't personally tested!! I can understand their caution, but it seems to me, if you understand and follow proper procedures, and apply correct principles, you ought to be able to get creative. The whole reason I invested in the pressure canner in the first place is to be able to can whatever I want to! Just the same, I've ordered the Ball book (the "last word" in home canning info). But of course, I couldn't wait -- canned some beef stew last night. Took a look at the beef stew recipe / instructions in the book that came with the canner first, of course. The jars all sealed (you can tell by gently tapping the lids -- a high-pitched "plink" means they're sealed; a low, dull sound means you need to refrigerate & consume in the next few days), so I'm assuming they're fine.


Very encouraging to realize the progress we're making!

No comments:

Post a Comment