Friday, April 24, 2009

Canning Cherries & Stuff

Finally figured out how to can the cherries that have been languishing in the freezer since last year. They were some of the best we've ever had -- I made sure to get the farmer's name & cell number. Young guy, but he sure seems to know what he's doing! We almost missed out -- flew over to meet him in the next town after work one afternoon, and bought all that he had left. And they were so good, I've been "saving them" for something special. Did use some for homemade ice cream a while back, which they really made sing! But they've been in there long enough that I knew I'd better do something with them, or I'd end up having to toss them -- which would be a real shame! It's been in the back of my mind for a while, and when I was looking through the Ball book tonight, I came across a recipe. Didn't end up using it, exactly, because I didn't have almond extract, but it freed me up. So I made a syrup of honey & water, added a tiny bit of raspberry flavoring (to "goose" the cherry flavor a little, just for fun), and a couple teaspoons of natural cherry flavoring. Came out pretty good, though I think I'll leave the raspberry out next time, just for fun. Ended up with 5 pints of cherries & juice, and 2 half-pints of just juice. (Couldn't bring myself to pour it down the drain -- I'll find a use for it, eventually.) Thickened up a little, they'll make a nice topping for cheesecake, or filling for anything baked. It's lovely to finally start getting the full benefit from the time I've spent learning to can!! I still can't decide if I'm more pleased with the variety of things I'm able to put into our food storage, or the quality of the food we're now able to store, or how little is going to waste around here these days, or the money we're saving on groceries (and eating out, when it's not convenient to cook), or the convenience of having really good stuff ready to throw together in a few minutes' time... In any case, I know this is something I'll be doing for the rest of my life!!

No comments:

Post a Comment