Monday, April 13, 2009

Ok, so I've learned to pressure can, and now have a stock of various kinds of meat in pint jars. I've expanded my food storage options in a lot of other ways, as well. Which is all wonderful -- except that it means I need to re-think my whole approach to our food storage. Because I originally designed it with things already available in mind, many of the things on the list have changed. That's actually a good thing, because it means we're saving A LOT of money -- and getting better quality food in the process. I had several cases of Spam on the list, for example, which sells for about $17 for a case of 8 (12-ounce cans) at Costco. I just canned 21 pints of shank-cut ham for a little over $1 each -- a savings of about $1.80 per pound. So I'm loving the cost savings, as well as the increased VARIETY, but it's causing me to reorganize my whole approach.

So now I need to redo my spreadsheet. That'll take some time, but it will certainly be worth it, because the quality of my food storage is so much better -- much more variety, and far less cost. And instead of basing it on what I can find already prepared and ready to store, I'm starting with whatever's on sale. My rule: Any meat on sale for $1.00 a pound or less is a candidate. So, instead of deciding what to buy & budgeting out when to purchase it, I'm picking up main dish items (meat, pasta, legumes) and building around them. Which means that I'll be adjusting my spreadsheet pretty frequently -- but I'll trade that for the variety, quality and cost savings, any day!

So far, I've been working pretty steadily (and, as my husband has patiently pointed out, single-mindedly) toward my food storage goal. At this point, I've accumulated a good number of pints of meat, as well as some grain, veggies and other stuff, so I feel I can relax a bit. So now my goal is to do one thing each week toward getting our food storage in order. My plan, then, is to watch the sales (whether on meat, fruit, veggies, paper goods...), and pick things up accordingly. This should allow me to move forward, picking up a reasonably balanced selection of things, and still have time to do the rest of life!

No comments:

Post a Comment