Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Saving Lots of $$$ & Making Real Progress!!!

Spending Less, Saving More (Food)

I've always considered myself to be a pretty frugal shopper, and thought I was getting the biggest "bang" for our food "buck". But over the past several months, I've learned some new tricks. Tonight I took a minute to do some quick math, and realized that I'm spending at least 30% less than I used to on groceries. Not only that, but I'm actually building up our food storage much faster than I ever have before.

A lot of this has to do with learning even better places to find food bargains. The other factor, and it's huge, is having the equipment necessary to prepare what I'm buying for long-term storage. In fact, I'm sort of amazed at the impact that having, and learning to use, the various food storage equipment I've accumulated has made on the cost, and quality, of what I feed my family.

A great example: Today, I bought 10# of chicken leg quarters at $.49 per pound (with bones & skin). Brought it home, raw-packed it into quart jars, and will use it to "jazz up" the dry food my two dogs (and cat) get, at some point in the future. Each jar has two leg quarters (drumsticks & thighs), so I figure they're good for at least a meal, if not two, each. That works out to $.70 per jar ($.35 per meal, if we get two from them), plus a few cents for the gas to run the pressure canner, although I would have had to use some gas to cook it, whether I canned it or not. Compared to the $1.00 per can you pay in the store for dog food (if you buy it on sale), and keeping in mind all the preservatives, fillers & other junk in that can, this ends up being a real bargain -- even with the skin & bones. And although they don't get the bones, they certainly don't mind the skin, or anything else that comes along with it!

The Ball Book

Bought the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving recently, and sat down with it & immediately marked a bunch of recipes. I wish I'd bought this book years ago!!! Not only does it give some excellent basic canning info, it has terrific recipes!!! Anyone who's working on their food storage, and does any canning at all, will be interested in this information. I am especially intrigued by the various sauce and condiment recipes -- a selection of these would certainly be an excellent way to enhance and add variety to the items folks normally store! I've also been looking for a way around buying those expensive little yogurt cups (although they're awfully convenient), and the fruit sauces & syrups look like they'll be just the thing! I'll have to adjust the recipes a little, though -- I can't tolerate white or brown sugar (or molasses) at all, and most of the recipes call for it. Fortunately, this is something I've done a bit of, and so am confident that I'll be able to obtain acceptable results.

I am extremely pleased with the progress I'm making, and the things I'm learning. I'm looking forward to continuing to learn new things, saving money, and expanding my food storage horizons, for some time to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment