Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Under Pressure

The pressure canner arrived, just in time for about 45 pounds of pork I bought on sale. Unfortunately, before I got it (and read the instructions), I was under the impression that I couldn't can meat that's been in the fridge for a few days. This happened to have been vaccuum sealed, so it probably would have been fine. But I cubed it, and froze it in 3# packages. As it turns out, it probably would have been better to leave it whole, and in the sealed bags. Ah, well, live & learn...

You can slice the meat so that it'll fit into the jars, throw a little salt in, and can it (no water or broth). I learned this trick from a Wendy DeWitt video presentation. What a pro!! What a great video that is!! (info@brownbaggifts.com) And now I feel even better about my pressure canner purchase -- I can use what I'm preparing to make my life easier NOW, as well as in preparing for the future. Plus, it'll allow me to build our food storage at a much lower cost. (Wendy DeWitt suggests it can be done for about $1.00 per person, per day, and, with the necessary equipment, I think she's pretty much right on.)

I'm very grateful that I've been able to accomplish what I have, so far. And I'm very eager to keep moving forward in putting our food storage together. And, always, so much more to learn, and share...

No comments:

Post a Comment