Wednesday, March 18, 2009

A Pleasant (and Corny) Surprise; Life Under Pressure

Canned my second batch of meat today -- happened to be corned beef, which I picked up at a great price the other day. Wasn't sure how it would can -- you have to simmer it for an hour before you can it (75 minutes at 10# pressure, for pints). Thought it might be overcooked. But, what a lovely surprise to open a jar and find the tenderest, most flavorful corned beef imaginable!! Even better than if I'd cooked it in the crockpot!! DH liked it as much as I did, so I'm hoping to pick up a little more to can.

This pressure canner has opened up a whole new world!! Next I'm going to can some beans -- some plain (black beans) and some pickled (pintos, like 3-bean salad). I read somewhere on the web that a little acid (vinegar, lemon juice, baking soda) in the soaking water will make them more digestible, so I'm planning to try that. I'm hoping that by eating a few of the pickled beans often on our salads, our systems might get more accustomed to them... Especially important, as we lean toward being veg, and a good part of our food storage features legumes in one form or another.

Spent part of the day vaccuum packing things in jars. I have a FoodSaver, and the cannister set that goes with it. But I'm not using the cannisters to store food -- I'm using them to vaccuum seal jars with food in them. Works great!! There are 3 sizes of cannisters in the set, and I used all three sizes to seal various recycled jars (many sizes and shapes) as well as standard canning jars (from 1/4 pint to quart). I packed raisins, chocolate chips, dehydrated carrots & celery, even powdered eggs. I also packed some chile verde sauce that I decanted from a #10 can (bought it for canning pork). That had to go back into the fridge, of course. Then I packed a cube of butter into a 1/2 pint canning jar and vaccuum sealed it. Now it can stay out on the counter -- very nice to have soft butter ready at any moment, and also to save the space in the fridge. But this means I have to leave the FoodSaver on the counter, so I can reseal it after I use it. Ah, well, I suppose that probably has to happen anyway...

No comments:

Post a Comment