Sunday, March 8, 2009

I Don't Remotely Pretend to be a Preparedness Expert...

but I'm sure learning a lot!! And because I think it might be useful to someone else out there, I'm sharing.

My goal is to have enough food on hand so we can survive for an extended period of time, even if we don't have power. And if we don't have power, we probably won't have any way to keep anything cold (let alone frozen!). So I'm focusing on things that have a long shelf life at room temperature.

A good challenge -- it'll take a combination of commercially prepared things and stuff I'll be making myself. I set up an Excel spreadsheet, to help me plan out what to buy & when. If you'd like a copy, email me at calamityjen47@yahoo.com.

One of the ways to prepare things to store at room temperature is to dehydrate them, so I dusted off my old Excalibur dehydrator -- only to realize, after waiting 24 hours for carrots to dry (should take 6), that it was at the end of its useful life. So I logged on to Amazon, and a few days later a beautiful new Nesco model arrived. Came with 8 trays; I bought an additional 2. Now I can dehydrate 10 sq ft of food at a time, at record speed. Came in handy when I lucked into 45# of kiwis and a bunch of almost-past-date liver (for our dogs)!!

So far, I've dehydrated some of the kiwis (made jam with the rest), the liver (VERY popular with the leash-and-collar set!!), lots of carrots (believe it or not, also popular with our canine friends, but very useful in other ways -- more on that later), cottage cheese (ditto), and some overripe bananas. Also made fruit leather (bananas, a package of strawberry-banana Jello and a carton of strawberry yogurt). Delicious, and how nice to use the overripe bananas, rather than tossing them!!

Like everyone else these days, I'm trying harder than ever not to waste anything. When I prep veggies, I hate to waste the trimmings. I was trying to accumulate them in the freezer for stock, but with all the dehydrating I'm doing, it was getting away from me. So now we're tossing them into the garden. We don't have a compost pile just yet, so we're just burying them under a bit of dirt. They'll break down, either way.

Next Time ~


Just bought a grain mill that can be hand-cranked or used with my stand mixer. It'll roll oats and other grains, and can do some other tricks, as well. I'm having a blast learning to use it (and the flour I make with it!!), and will post more when I've got another loaf of bread or two under my belt (pun intended!!).

No comments:

Post a Comment