Thursday, November 25, 2010

A Change for the Better

A change has come over our culinary lives, so slowly that we didn't really notice. But it has, and the effects are unmistakable.

I set out, about year and a half ago, to learn to preserve as much as possible of what we consume -- including meats, soups, prepared beans, etc. And, with the acquisition of a few well-chosen pieces of equipment, I have. And I thought I was doing just fine -- all of the prep work I've done will certainly serve us well in the future.

But what really surprised me is how much easier it makes our lives now. Planning for dinners some time in the future has also caused me to have things that can be quickly put together for any meal, and so better able to feed us, on a daily basis. And I recently started learning the fine art of pressure cooking, which has done wonders!!

So, as I've begun to buy things on sale and/or in bulk and can, freeze or dry them, we've gradually weeded out pretty much all commercially prepared foods. Not that we ever relied very heavily on them, but they were a part of our lives, to one degree or another. I didn't make a conscious effort to give them up -- it just sort of happened naturally. But there's a side effect, and one that I didn't anticipate, or even notice, until today. Particularly since I've begun to learn about pressure cooking, we really haven't eaten anything except what I've prepared. And today, after a rare visit to a local drive-through, I was shocked to realize that the aroma coming from the steaming bag the young man handed us didn't remotely smell like food to me. And when we opened it up at home and I tasted one of the fries, I was surprised at how disappointed I was. How many fast food meals have I eaten, without noticing?!

But now that we have a pressure cooker (well, ok -- 2. Or 3, if you count the pressure canner), I can very quickly get dinner on the table. And it's good, homemade stuff -- no chemicals, preservatives or artificial flavors to disguise the real flavor of the food. The only thing I need to remember is to add something for crunch. Any of a number of things will do: chopped nuts, raw or toasted sunflower seeds, even things like water chestnuts or crispy fried onions.

I never had any idea, when I set out on this adventure all those months ago, what a hugely positive impact it would have on the quality of the food we eat, every day!!

4 comments:

  1. That is so neat! I love it when culinary adventures become healthier eating without really trying. I don't have a pressure cooker yet, but my mom got one for Christmas and we just tried it out yesterday to can some Beef Brisket that was on sale. I am thinking I would like to get one of those cookers that can can about 4 pints and plugs in. Do you know anything about those? I would rather only buy one pressure cooker. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Helena ~

    Nice to hear from you! Some of the literature I've read says that pressure cookers aren't suited to pressure canning because they don't reach the required 10 pounds of pressure (at 0 elevation). I just got a Fagor Futuro 4- and 6-quart combination (which I dearly love), and the manual says you can use it for pressure canning, but I haven't tried it, and probably won't, because I own an All American pressure canner. The All American can do 10 pints or 7 quarts at once. I have used it once or twice as a pressure cooker, but it's really not very well suited for that. For pressure cooking, you often need to be able to cool the cooker quickly by running cold water over it, which isn't possible with the All American. You'll want to be able to do this both to shorten the time spent waiting for the pressure to come down, and for cooking delicate things like veggies and custards, which can easily overcook otherwise. I would say that I use the cold water method pretty much every time I use a pc (which is just about every day).

    I'm not really familiar with the electric pressure cookers -- I briefly considered one, but decided it would probably be too limited for my purposes (partly because of the quick cooling).

    If you're seriously considering purchasing either a pressure cooker or a pressure canner, I would strongly recommend you check out the product reviews for both of them. I always like to check Amazon for this kind of thing, but anywhere folks who've used them express their opinions about them is good.

    Of course, it goes without saying that you should always follow approved recipes and guidelines for canning, and this is particularly important with pressure canning. Your local University Cooperative Extension, and/or the Ball Book ("The Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving"), can provide excellent information.

    Good luck -- please let me know how it all works out!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, thanks! It sounds like if I want to pressure cook a meal (or part of a meal) I need one that is not a canner--I never knew that. I thought if I just got a small pressure canner I could use it for both purposes. Hmmm...Bummer. Thanks for the hint about using cold water to reduce the pressure more quickly. That doesn't harm the pressure cooker at all? I would have thought it could damage it if it cooled down too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would strongly recommend you check out the information on buying a pressure cooker on Vickie Smith's website (www.missvickie.com) before you make a purchase. Click on the "recommendations" link on the upper left side of the website's homepage, and be sure to read the whole recommendations page -- she gives you the straight scoop, and you'll be armed with the information you need, to choose the equipment that will best serve your needs. Whatever you decide on, you can probably get it from Amazon -- I'd definitely get her "Big Book of Pressure Cooker Recipes" as a good all-around pressure cooking reference book, while you're at it.

    I did not do enough research before I bought my first pressure cooker, and bought a Presto "jiggle top". Then I learned a little more, and bought the "second generation" model from Presto. Finally, I did the research I should've done to begin with, and bought a Fagor Futuro set. (I usually use at least two, and sometimes three, pressure cookers to cook dinner.) There's A WORLD of difference between the Presto and the Fagor!! The Fagor comes up to pressure, and releases pressure naturally, far more quickly than either of the Prestos. It's very well made -- worth every penny!! Please don't let the price of a good pressure cooker stop you -- you'll more than make it back, and quickly, in both time and money saved. Since I got my first pressure cooker, I haven't used my regular pans at all -- except for fried rice! I hardly ever use my rice cooker or crock pot anymore!! And you'll find you rarely have to resort to a trip through the local drive-through!!

    Once you've done your research, please let me know what you decide to do. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete