Sunday, April 18, 2010

Living and Learning...

Interesting adventure, this year-round gardening thing. Planted some greens, carrots, beets & other stuff about a month ago. Carefully picked a mix of warm weather greens, spaced the seeds just so, kept them watered -- and then noticed that the cat has been enjoying those formerly nice, neat rows, too.

Although I'm not happy with losing most of what I planted, I really can't blame him. If I had to do my important business in this slab of concrete pretending to be dirt, I'd pick the nice neat rows, too.

So it's a bit of a setback, but it's caused me to expand my approach. From here on, I'll start what I can indoors (he doesn't seem to bother the little seedlings, once I set them out), and arrange an inconvenient spot (for him) to plant the rest. A friend told me about upending 5-gallon buckets, setting an old door or shelving on top, then putting a kiddie pool or two on top of that. You have to drill holes in the pool, of course, and I think I'd probably throw plastic over the door or whatever, so it'll be likely to last a little longer. My friend's growing potatoes in hers, but I think I'll stick to carrots, beets & other stuff that doesn't transplant well. (I'll probably throw some chicken wire over, to make clear to His Highness that this is not the perfect kitty box.)

Planted cucumbers and beans today. Planted some a couple of weeks ago, then we got a cold & rainy spell, so I lost what little did come up. Now I understand a little better the frustrations & joys of my farmer friends... I realized, after I planted the cucumber seeds, that I'd planted most of them in the shade of the little fence I want them to climb -- not sure how many will actually come up...

10/16/10

Very few, as it turned out. Well, they might've come up, but I never saw 'em. It was a bad year, earwigs-wise, I was told. In any case, not a single cucumber -- nor even so much as a bean -- did we harvest. So I ended up buying all of the cucumbers I needed for our winter's supply of sweet pickle relish (for DH's "Thousands of Islands" dressing) at my two favorite roadside stands, and my sister provided us with beans from her garden. Oh, well -- we had a great crop of spaghetti squash...

On the positive side, two of our tomatoes are setting fruit already!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment