Sunday, December 20, 2009

Soil Temperatures & Sunlight Hours

Have spent much time & energy researching how to do this year-round gardening thing on the West Coast. Despite the fact that we live in an area that is pretty easy for plants to grow in, I'm having trouble locating information on the subject.

So far, I've learned the minimum germination temperatures for the various things I want to grow, the first and last frost dates for my area, and am beginning to amass a general understanding of what plants generally do well in cooler weather. I plan to keep a journal of what we planted & how it did, which will help us refine our plant choices & timing in the future.

My goal, in all of this, is to gain more control over our food supply -- the quality, the variety and the cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment