Sunday, October 4, 2009

Canning Tomatoes, Round 2

Just started on my second 50 pounds of canning tomatoes. When I brought home the first one, I got out the Ball book and picked out quite a few recipes to try. Several different sauces, both red and green, are now stacked neatly on the pantry shelves, waiting to be turned into a quick meal.

We've already used one of them, in fact -- the Mexican-style one. Found I had to add a bit more of the spice mixture when I used it (which I happened to have, leftover) to get the flavor I wanted. So I'm considering adding a bit more of it before I can it, next time. But it was very nice to have something I could grab off the shelf & use to throw together a very quick dinner! In addition to expanding my food storage, it's been a goal to create my own "convenience foods", for a lot less money and with much better quality.

Canned some red salsa tonight. I've never made salsa that I actually enjoyed enough to want to eat, until I modified the Ball book recipe -- ended up sweetening it a bit. It's cooling on the counter now. And one of the great side benefits of canning is the leftovers -- there's a quart of salsa in the fridge, waiting to be turned into Spanish rice or something similar.

No comments:

Post a Comment