Monday, May 25, 2009

Building our Food Storage, Making Jar Bread

I've been working very hard on our food storage, making it a point to build in variety and work with whatever comes my way. I watch the Wednesday ads for inexpensive meat ($.49/lb for chicken leg quarters has been the best deal so far), and am cultivating relationships with small, local produce farmers and/or vendors. I have a source for grains at reasonable rates, and have been dehydrating dairy products since I started working on this. (And I've managed to can & dehydrate a supply of meat & cottage cheese for our animal friends, as part of this adventure.) My goal is to accumulate a well-balanced food supply that we can rotate naturally (except maybe the freeze-dried fruits & veggies) because it consists of things we enjoy.

What I didn't expect was the positive effect all of this has had on the way I feed us now. I've always been pretty careful with both the quality and cost of what we eat. But the impact of having jars of healthy, homemade food ready to pop open at a moment's notice has been amazing. And not only that, but I'm actually enjoying more treats, because I have canned fruit ready to enjoy either out of the jar or as part of something fun. It is so satisfying to be learning to be more self-reliant!! I wish everyone was willing and able to "take charge" of their food. We'd all be happier and healthier!

I tried making "jar bread" tonight. You make the bread dough (or muffins, or brownies, or whatever) and let it rise for the final time in greased (shortening only), straight-sided pint jars. Pop on a sterilized lid as soon as it comes out of the oven and wait for the "plink". Baked goods prepared this way can be stored for several weeks at room temperature. A one-loaf bread recipe (3 cups of flour) made 4 pint jars. I did have to cut off the tops of 3 of them, and I only heard one lid snap down, so we'll see... I also tend to be a lot more sensitive to food that's a little "tired" than most people, so we'll see how this works for me. I guess I'm gearing up for trying one of my solar ovens, because cooking in mason jars is ideal in a solar oven. I do still need to finish assembling them, but once I do, they should be fun to learn to use!!

No comments:

Post a Comment